Well Being: Sunday Morning Protein Pancakes
I love pancakes so when I can eat them guilt-free, I usually do. Sunday mornings are typically the only morning I’m at home with enough time to make more than scrambled eggs, and I really look forward to this treat. This recipe is a great way to make what is normally an all-carbohydrate meal more balanced with protein and healthy fats as well as high levels of vitamins and iron (great source of iron for all of you vegetarians). Although it is still relatively high in carbs, it’s very low in sugar (without the syrup). The nutrition facts don’t include syrup so I’d just encourage you to be mindful – adding just a 1/4 cup of syrup equals 53g of carbs/sugar. Ouch. For portion sizing, this recipe should feed at least two people, if not three. I also included ways of making it less caloric by removing some items from the recipe.
Annie’s Organic Protein Pancakes
- 3/4 cup Arrowhead Mills Organic Sprouted Grain Pancake & Waffle Mix
- 4 scoops Met Rx Vanilla Cinnamon Protein & Oats Protein Powder (there are tons of protein powders out there if your diet requires one that is organic, raw, vegetarian and/or dairy-free – check your local health food store)
- 1/4 cup organic rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 1/4 cup organic shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup organic sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup organic egg whites
- 3/4 cup organic almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon organic cinnamon
- 1/4 cup organic blueberries (I keep them frozen and let them thaw for garnish on top – you can also mix them in the batter and cook them inside the pancakes but again – this adds sugar)
Nutrition Information (for whole recipe – divide each by 2 or 3 depending how many people are eating)
- Calories: 1,220
- Fat: 43.5 grams (15.8g saturated, 2.6g polyunsaturated, 6.8g monounsaturated)
- Sodium: 1,221 mg
- Potassium: 1,010 mg
- Carbohydrates: 150.3 g (40.5g dietary fiber, 15.9g sugar)
- Protein: 83.9g
- Vitamin A: 47.5%
- Vitamin C: 45%
- Calcium: 78%
- Iron: 81.7%
- Don’t like coconut? Remove that and subtract 136 calories, 13.3g fat (12g saturated), 5.3g carbs (2.7g dietary fiber & 1.3g sugar) & 1.3g protein
- Don’t need as much protein? Replace the egg whites with water and subtract 50 calories, 2g carbs & 12g protein. Or use 2 scoops of protein powder instead of 4 and subtract 200 calories, 4g fat, 17g carbs (7g dietary fiber) & 25g protein
- Want less carbohydrates? Remove the oats and subtract 83 calories & 18g carbs (3g dietary fiber). You can also use less of the sprouted grain mix and more of the protein powder for a higher ratio of protein to carbs.
- Want less fat? Remove the coconut and the sliced almonds and subtract 256 calories, 23.8g fat (12.8g saturated, 2.6g poly, 6.8g mono), 9.8g carbs (5g dietary fiber) & 5.8g protein
- You can add anything else you like — chia seeds, other nuts, bananas, flax seeds (ground), etc.
Thank you for reading!
Be well xo